Thursday, January 29, 2009

Obesity Tax

I am sure you have been following along as our new President tries to fix our ailing economy. But have you been paying attention to what some of the States want to do?

They are hurting jst as much as everyone else. There are a lot of states, if not all, that are having to cut budgets and are coming across shortfalls. The chances are that any tax breaks we get from the federal government are going to be offset by higher taxes by the states.

The one that really caught my attention is the one they call the 'obesity tax'. It is called that because there are some states that want to tax those items that are contributing to obesity. The State of Florida is looking at taxing all non-diet soft drinks.

I don't know about you but I don't need anymore taxes, especially on food. Luckily, I don't drink soft drinks. Most people shouldn't.

My tip to you this week will not only help your waist line but also your pocket book. Drink more water. Yes. It is that simple. Our bodies were made to drink a lot of water, not all of these sugary drinks. That is especially true during the hotter months. The sugar drinks will not rehydrate your body the way it needs to be.

Definetly stay away from sports drinks. They are made for athletes or people who work out intensly for more than an hour at one time. My son and I drink it when we train for soccer but that is because we will spend from 2 to 5 hours training in 75 to 85 degree weather. It is a myth that anyone who sweats should drink it.

I have many tips you can learn throughout the year through my newsletter. I only scratch the surface in this blog. Go to www.askcoachb.com and subscribe today.

No comments: